Describing your organization
Your Evergreen system is almost ready to go. You'll need to add each of the libraries that will be using your Evergreen system. If you're doing this for a consortium, you'll have to add your consortium as a whole, and all the libraries and branches that are members of the consortium. In this chapter, we'll talk about how to get the Evergreen system to see all your libraries, how to set each one up, and how to edit all the details of each one.
Organization Unit Types
The term Organization Unit Types refers to levels in the hierarchy of your library system(s). Examples could include: All-Encompassing Consortium, Library System, Branch, Bookmobile, Sub-Branch, etc.
You can add or remove organizational unit types, and rename them as needed to match the organizational hierarchy that matches the libraries using your installation of Evergreen. Organizational unit types should never have proper names since they are only generic types.
When working with configuration, settings, and permissions, it is very important to be careful of the Organization Unit Context Location - this is the organizational unit to which the configuration settings are being applied. If, for example, a setting is applied at the Consortium context location, all child units will inherit that setting. If a specific branch location is selected, only that branch and its child units will have the setting applied. The levels of the hierarchy to which settings can be applied are often referred to in terms of "depth" in various configuration interfaces. In a typical hierarchy, the consortium has a depth of 0, the system is 1, the branch is 2, and any bookmobiles or sub-branches is 3.
Create and edit Organization Unit Types
- Open Admin > Server Administration > Organization Types.
- In the left panel, expand the Organization Unit Types hierarchy.
- Click on a organization type to edit the existing type or to add a new organization unit.
- A form opens in the right panel, displaying the data for the selected organization unit.
- Edit the fields as required and click Save.
To create a new dependent organization unit, click New Child. The new child organization unit will appear in the left panel list below the parent. Highlight the new unit and edit the data as needed, click Save
Organizational Units are the specific instances of the organization unit types that make up your library's hierarchy. These will have distinctive proper names such as Main Street Branch or Townsville Campus.
Remove or edit default Organizational Units
After installing the Evergreen software, the default CONS, SYS1, BR1, etc., organizational units remain. These must be removed or edited to reflect actual library entities.
Create and edit Organizational Units
- Open Admin > Server Administration > Organizational Units.
- In the left panel, expand the the Organizational Units hierarchy, select a unit.
- A form opens in the right panel, displaying the data for the selected organizational unit.
- To edit the existing, default organizational unit, enter system or library specific data in the form; complete all three tabs: Main Settings, Hours of Operation, Addresses.
- Click Save.
To create a new dependent organizational unit, click New Child. The new child will appear in the hierarchy list below the parent unit. Click on the new unit and edit the data, click Save
Organizational Unit data
- The Addresses tab allows you to enter library contact information. Library Phone number, email address, and addresses are used in patron email notifications, hold slips, and transit slips. The Library address tab is broken out into four address types: Physical Address, Holds Address, Mailing Address, ILL Address.
- The Hours of Operation tab is where you enter regular, weekly hours. Holiday and other closures are set in the Closed Dates Editor. Hours of operation and closed dates impact due dates and fine accrual.
Set closed dates using the Closed Dates Editor
- Open Admin > Local Administration > Closed Dates Editor.
- Select type of closure: typically Single Day or Multiple Day.
- Click the Calendar gadget to select the All Day date or starting and ending dates.
- Enter a Reason for closure (optional).
- Click Apply to all of my libraries if your organizational unit has children units that will also be closed.
- Click Save.
Now that your organizational structure is established, you can begin configuring permissions for the staff users of your Evergreen system.