Installing Inkscape for Windows
Inkscape is available for Windows operating systems from XP up to Windows 10. There are two basic methods for installing Inkscape onto computers with a Windows operating system. One method is downloading and installing directly from Inkscape and the other is installing it from the Microsoft App store. A description of both methods is presented here. If you have previously installed Inkscape onto your computer, you will need to uninstall that version before installing the new version.
Installation method 1: Downloading and installing directly from Inkscape.
1. Using a Web browser, go to the Inkscape page for downloading Inkscape for Windows and select the option that matches the information you wrote down in step 4 .
2. Select an installation method from the 3 choices and wait for it to download. You should either see a window giving you the option to save the file or a pop-up will appear at the bottom of your web browser with the file’s name and a timer stating how long until the download is complete.
3. One the download is complete either click on the file in the lower left corner of your screen to start the installation process or, if need be, go to your file explorer and open your downloads folder and select the file from there. It should be the first file at the top of the folder.
4. If you get a User Account Control pop-up from Windows similar to the following one click “OK” and wait for the Inkscape installation program to start.
5. Select what language you want to use during the installation and click “OK.” Then click “Next” on both the following welcome screen and license agreement screen.
6. On the Choose Components screen you can select which feature you want to install or not install. In most cases the default options should provide all that the user needs, so click “Next.”
7. On the Choose Install Location windows leave the destination folder as C:\Program Files\Inkscape and click “Install” unless you want Inkscape to be installed in a specific location on your computer.
If you do want to install Inkscape in a specific location on your computer, click the browse button and in the resulting window either make a new folder for Inkscape and select it or select the destination folder you want Inkscape to be installed to.
8.Once you click “Install” a progress bar will appear showing how long it will take for your program to install.
9.After the installation is complete, click “Finish” and the installer will automatically open Inkscape for you and you are ready to begin working with Inkscape.
Installation method 2: Installing from the Microsoft App store.
You can also install Inkscape onto your Windows computer from the Microsoft App store. If you have the Windows 10 Education version this will be the only way you can install Inkscape. (Note: you will need a Microsoft account to install apps from the Microsoft store. If you already have an account, skip the following steps on how to make one.)
1. To create a Microsoft account using a Web browser go to https://login.live.com/ and select “Create one!”
2. On the following page enter in the email address or phone number that you would like to link your Microsoft Account to and then click “Next.” There is also the option to get a new email address from Microsoft. (Note: I will be using preexisting email for this example but if you want to create a new email the process for making a Microsoft email is pretty straight forward.)
3. Enter a password that you wish to use with your new Microsoft account and click “Next”.
4. Enter in your First and Last name then click “Next.”
5. Enter the Country/region in which you live and your Birthdate.
6. Go to the email you used to create the account and locate the email from Microsoft to enter the code provided and click “Next.”
7. Enter your phone number and then click “send code” to receive the security code, then click “Next.”
8. On the following page verify that the information is correct and click “Looks good!” and your Microsoft Account is ready for use.
9. From the task bar at the bottom of your screen click the Microsoft Store icon or enter store into the search bar and select Microsoft Store from the results.
10. Enter Inkscape into the Microsoft Store search bar and select Inkscape from the results.
11. In the following windows to install Inkscape click “Get” and then enter your Microsoft account username and then password in the windows that pops up.
12. After signing into your Microsoft Account click “Install” and the installation will begin.
13. Once the download and installation is complete click “Launch” and you are ready to begin working with Inkscape.
Congratulations! You have now installed Inkscape onto your Windows computer.
If you need further help, please visit the FAQ section for Windows specific problems at:
Identifying what type of Operating System you have:
If you need to know what type of Operating System your computer is running, use the following steps. If you already know what type of Operating System you have please skip this section.
Identifying what type of Operating System you have:
Before you can begin to download Inkscape, you must first know what type of Operating System (OS) you have, 32-bit or 64-bit. If you already know what type of Operating System you have please skip this section and go the section on downloading Inkscape.
1. Click on the magnifying glass to open a search window and type control panel.
2. Click to open the Control Panel.
3. On the open window select the “View By” option and change it from “Category” to “Large Icons”, then scroll down until you see an icon that says “System” and click on it.
4. Now on the window, toward the middle of the screen, you should see an option that says “System Type”. Write down the associated information. You will need this during the download section of the installation.
Bit: (short for binary digit) is the smallest unit of data in a computer. A bit has a single binary value, either 0 or 1.
32-bit architecture vs 64-bit architecture: A 32-bit architecture means that the operating system is able to process data up to 32 bits in size. Likewise, a 64-bit means an operating system can process data up to 64 bits in size. It is important to install the correct program for your computer’s architecture because otherwise the program won’t work properly. (Note: Most newer computers come as 64-bits. However, if you are not sure if your computer is 32-bits or 64-bits, we will cover how to look this up).
Windows installer package files (.msi): An MSI file is a package that contains installation information for a particular installer, such as files to be installed and the locations for installation. They can be used for Windows updates as well as third-party software installers. The installation results are no different from using an executable file, but msi packages sometimes do have additional options such as doing silent installations (no human action needed) or pre-configured installs.
Executable (.exe): contains an executable program for Windows and is the standard file extension used by Windows programs. These are the files that make a program on your computer run.
Binary file (.bin): Binary files are files not meant to be read by humans. They contain no text but instead are composed of patterns 0s and 1s that can be directly read by the computer.
Binary Archive: is a folder that contains multiple binary files and require a special type of program to interact with them.
Zip (.zip): Zip files are a way to compress large amounts of data into a smaller more manageable size. This allows for easy transportation and faster downloads of files. The disadvantage to zip files is that the files inside need to be extracted and decompressed before they can be used.
Portable app: A portable app is a program that does not need to be installed onto a computer. Instead all necessary files needed to run the program reside in a single folder located on a disc or USB drive. The advantage to this is that the program can be taken anywhere the user goes and can be run from the cd or USB drive on any computer that supports the program. The disadvantages are that the program can easily be lost and if the USB isn’t properly removed from the computer after use, the program can get corrupted and stop working.
There has been error in communication with Booktype server. Not sure right now where is the problem.
You should refresh this page.